Mid West Coast Galleries and Museums Directory
Be the first to advertise in Mid West Coast Galleries and Museums Directory!
We are developing midwest.coast.place for you and early supporters can secure top of category and page one spots! If you would like to create a listing in Mid West Coast for your Business or Community Group first Create an Account
Replace this Ad with your content, Your listing updates this entire page!
View an example. Consider what Category might you list in? Do we have it?
Do you like the Galleries and Museums in Mid West Coast?
Mid West Coast Galleries and Museums
Galleries, museums, and historical venues offer a great way to connect with the past and appreciate the creative expression of the present. The Mid West Coast region of Western Australia boasts several such venues that visitors can explore and learn from. Here is a categorised list of some of the most noteworthy ones:
1. Geraldton Museum: Located in the city of Geraldton, this museum is an excellent place to learn about the maritime and cultural history of the region. Visitors can discover exhibits on shipwrecks off the coast, the local Yamaji Aboriginal culture, and the pioneering era of Western Australia.
2. HMAS Sydney II Memorial: This memorial in Geraldton commemorates the loss of the HMAS Sydney II during World War II. Visitors can see displays related to the ship and its crew, and learn about the search and discovery of the wreckage.
3. Greenough Museum and Gardens: Located in the historic town of Greenough, this museum showcases the early years of settlers, farming and the inspiration of the Greenough and Chapman Rivers to the mid-west region of the state.
1. Geraldton Regional Art Gallery: This gallery features works by local artists in a range of mediums, from paintings and sculptures to ceramics and textiles. Temporary exhibitions by visiting artists are also a regular feature.
2. Mattie Furphy House: Beautifully restored heritage listed house, located in Swanbourne, offers both Art Gallery and National Trust house museum in one. Here visitors can admire the artwork from the resident artist Mirella Prolongeau and gain a glimpse into life of 19th century writer and poet Mattie Furphy.
3. Sunset Gallery: Located in the popular tourist destination of Dongara, this gallery showcases the work of local artists and artisans, including paintings, sculptures, jewellery and glassware.
1. Oakabella Homestead: Located 30km northerly of the City of Geraldton, this historic and privately owned venue offers visitors a glimpse back into the pioneering days of the region. The homestead buildings date back to the mid 1800’s and the property hosts a fascinating museum with themed rooms, a café/bistro and an events room.
2. Old Geraldton Gaol: built in 1856 and active until 1981, this gaol is one of the oldest and most historic buildings of the Mid-West Coast region. The gaol used to imprison notorious outlaws such as - the Duracks, the Kennedys, and Ward to name a few - and visitors can experience a spine-tingling guided tour and go on ghost tours after hours.
3. Ellendale Pool: A heritage listed, naturally occurring pool, located in the Kalbarri National Park. This pool was discovered in the mid-1880s by a postal rider and is one of the finest examples of a colonial waterhole in Western Australia.
The above sites are just a sample of the rich and diverse cultural history that the Mid West Coast region of Western Australia has to offer. Whether visiting a museum, gallery or a site steeped in history, each of these venues guarantees visitors enriching experiences, whether absorbing art, learning about the past, or both.
Mid West Coast Galleries and Museums Articles